Wednesday 9 April 2014

Travel the World With Me

Cultural arts help to explain the world in which we live. If I can captivate others with the diverse cultures of this world I believe it is through art.
  
Learning other people's culture is a way of linking people and their different value systems. Where people shape their behavior and standards different cultures form. Through art all aspects of a culture is presented. The cultures music, art, literature, costumes, customs and traditions can be displayed beautifully in art pieces.
  
As an artist I sought for the soul of my art. I have come to the conclusion that my time I spent,  two years on the tiny island of Mauritius is not tragedy. Instead it is a stepping stone in my art life. I take the best from the worst that I endured on that island and turn it around for the better.

Mauritius has a total land area of the country which is 2040 km2. The country is multi-ethnic and multi-cultural. Mauritius public holidays involves the blending of several cultures from Mauritius's history, as well as individual culture arising indigenously. There are Hindu festivals, Chinese festivals, Muslim festivals, as well as Christian festivals.
  
There are 15 annual public holidays in Mauritius. Seven of these are fixed holidays: 1 and 2 January; 1 February; 12 March; 1 May; 2 November; and 25 December. The remaining public holidays are religious festivals with dates that vary from year to year. However these are public holidays, many other festivals like Holi, Raksha Bandhan, Père Laval Pilgrimageal also exist in Mauritius. I was able to witness many of these holidays.
  
The national sport of Mauritius is football and the national team is the Club M. The men of Mauritius are faithfully into betting and gathering to watch this sport. Horseracing which dates back to 1812, when the Champ de Mars Racecourse was inaugurated remain very popular. My favorite jockey whom I got the privilege to watch live and bet on is Robbie Burke. The first year I (Pari Chumroo) lived in Mauritius in action for the first time in Mauritius for Maigrot Stable in 2010 was Robbie Burke himself. Winning the Jockey’s Championship with 35 wins and a winning percentage of 20%. I won the Barbe Cup with Gliding High during the season, a Group 1 race. As the champion jockey, he represented Mauritius and Ireland, his native country for the International Weekend.
  
Although I found my art to be my escape route from pain, through these cultural varieties my art grew.  

Many of us will look at another culture to be different. Even though another culture is unlike what we know our own to be each culture has distinctive features and habits. Art brings emotion and expression. Through art we can walk through the cultures of the world. It is my hope that through my art others will be able to envision various cultures and travel the world through my art. 

 Please journey with me the world through my art. A life time journey which gives gives a combination birth to cultural arts. 


Representing the Native American culture of the United States "Native American Warrior 1". Recently won an honorable mention at the art gallery in Goldsboro, NC.  Currently exhibiting at the Art Gallery located at 102 John St., Goldsboro, NC 27530.  Located there from April 4, 2014 to May 16, 2014.








  



Symbolizing India I chose a good friend of mine, Amit Pachori from Mumbai. A famous actor who well depicted Tatya Tope. Tatya Tope was a sworn enemy of the British and executed by the British Government on April 18, 1859. Playing the role as the great guru in the Jhansi Ki Rani series I watched while I lived in the country of Mauritius. While in confinement I was able to learn more of the Hindu culture and gain strength from the teachings. As he taught the queen of India (Manu aka Jhansi Ki Rani) I began to master new survival techniques against an enemy.  I  also found life through my fingers and pastels in Mauritus and created this piece while there. Not a day that passes by that I don't deep within me thank the actor Amit for his honorable role in this series.
    Dhanyavada Amit Pachori! 





Mirroring Greece, "Xenia the Belly Dance 1". Xenia Prevezeiotis is a native Greek I had the honor of meeting and watching dance at the gallery here in Goldsboro, NC. Xenia has always dreamed of sharing her Greek heritage with others mostly through dancing. Her dreams now are coming true with her connection with me as a cultural artist. She never expected it would come true through art. 








Characterizing the country of Mauritius is "Mauritius African Dance 3". The Sega Dance, mainly based on African music originated with slaves. It is nowadays on the island danced along the sandy beaches of the Indien Ocean. I was able to witness these sacred dances and capture the souls of the culture.It is a cry from the soul attempting to eclipse the tortures and heartaches from life. At the same time expressing the universal human desire for joy and happiness. It tells of the pride and the hardships of the peasants. It is a nostalgic heritage of the villagers. Today the Sega and its beat and dances are a part of Mauritian's everyday life.




I thank you for coming along this journey with me. Please continue to travel the world with me through my art. I will continue to blog about it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment