Saturday 17 January 2015

Why Preserving Native American History Matters

  My spine-chillers center around one theme: native vitals have been put on the back burner in the past and must be rediscovered today. That "something" varies from image to image. A great culture with an abundance of history that well deserves respect and pride.

   Preservation for native people is about values and traditions. Images can speak volumes through native people from centuries back to this date. When I draw or paint from a native historical photo I feel as if I am not only preserving history, but I am being the voice for those that were once silenced. "Idle no More" is the name of my Historical Native American Series.

   History plays a vital role in our everyday lives. Learning through images seems to be the trend this day and age. "If we can preserve one day of the past into one day in the future with just one image then we have gained a lifetime" Pari Chumroo.

   The first of my series began with "Weensizeneet. An Arapaho boy. ca. 1890" copyright Pari Chumroo .




The second is "Sleeping Native Papoose" copyright Pari Chumroo.


  A papoose is an American English loanword whose present meaning is "a Native American child" or, even more generally, any child, usually used as a term of endearment, often in the context of the child's mother.


Moving forward the gallery is quickly growing with Pari's great determination.




"Quilcene Boy.1912.Northwest Tribes" copyright Pari Chumroo


This series if bringing emotional spiritual native feeling to me as an artist. History leads with confidence, boldness, and bravery when it uses native hands to speak. 
Five pieces in on my 100 piece series and I am motivated to complete the other 95 by September 31, 2015. 






To purchase limited edition prints of these works please visit parichumroo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment