Sunday 30 March 2014

Through the Eyes of My Soul

As an artist, I work hard to develop paintings that speak of emotions both to me and to others about the beauty that exists in the diverse cultures throughout societies. Part of my process before I begin painting is to study and learn as much as I can about the specific culture as I am about to recreate on canvas. I do not merely want to capture the image with my brushes; rather, with careful, colorful strokes, I want to give that culture life and respect once more. I try with every finished work to breathe life into a long forgotten culture so that its designs, ideas, innovations, and lifestyle are displayed on my canvas. The challenge, as with any recreated moment from the past, is to not caricature the moment and instead capture it in all its former glory. My artwork speaks, not only for me, but for people who were long ago silenced. As a Native American I am familiar with struggle in which the government tries to silence a culture to benefit themselves. This for me is why I choose to paint and draw emotion and expression in a wide variety of cultures. I strive to make great voices heard from one end of the world to the next. A voice spoken is a world heard. If that means a voice through use of my art, that means a lifetime of expression for me. A voice others may not choose to echo but I will be that one who takes on that challenge. If you can see it through my eyes, you have seen it through the world's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment